Re: Universal Payment Channels

Awesome paper! It's obvious that we have very similar goals in mind!

In ILP it is possible to create payment channels between any two
connectors, so you can already bypass the ledgers for repeat payments if
you like. We think that this makes sense for blockchains and any ledgers
with poor scalability (legacy systems.)

We can bypass the ledgers, but ILP does not yet let us bypass the
connectors. UPC, if I understand it correctly, does. So how would we have
to change ILP?

Essentially, we would have to extend the conditions functionality to allow
some form of partial execution. In other words, rather than sending all of
the money forward or all of the money back you'd need a way to send x% of
the money forward and 100-x% of the money back. The sender would be the one
to choose and sign x and send it to the recipient who would include it in
their final receipt.

Just to reiterate: On the ledger level it's already possible in ILP and
it's a no-brainer that you would do it. Any ILP Bitcoin connectors will
want to use Lightning or some form of micropayment channel between each
other. The open question is which optimizations (if any) we want to make on
the ILP level. There the complexity/performance trade-off is less clear to
me. Connectors can be totally stateless and centralized and we would
therefore expect them to be extremely scalable. Simplicity is critical for
any standard, so it may simply not be worth the extra complexity.
Optimizations should always be driven by need, otherwise you run the risk
that they are premature.

@Jehan: I'd love to meet you when you're back in SF and sit down with you
and Evan to chat about the different variations of UPC that we should
consider.