Re: A Survey of ILP Account Identifiers?

On Sun, Dec 11, 2016 at 2:54 PM, Melvin Carvalho
<melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:

> Im not sure you can put a 20 byte hash in the ILP ledger, I thought it was
> just URIs, or does it allow plain strings of characters, too?
>
> A sha1 is a random string of characters.
>
> How is anyone going to tell that the string is a sha1 without some out of
> band information?

the hashes as such wouldn't cross the boundary between my system and
ILP; they wouldn't escape as hashes. The connector would have to look
up what the hash is for, and send the string to a peer that isn't
using the cloud backing. Alternately, I'd get "Mosler" up and going in
time to have Mosler-encoded handles (whatever they wind up looking
like) included as a supported type of string. I haven't actually read
that far into the ILP spec, yet, to see what is currently declared as
supported. To actually answer the question, with my current design, a
string of 32 chars from the normal Crockford Encoding set (ASCII
digits plus most capital letters) not in an URI format would be
presumed to be a hash to look up in Mainline as a BEP-44 immutable,
and the out of band information saying so is essentially this e-mail
and later restatements of such :)

--
"Teaching radical novelties is our main safeguard against
dictatorships" -- Edsger W. Dijkstra