Re: A Survey of ILP Account Identifiers?

On 11 December 2016 at 06:53, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Dec 10, 2016 at 7:16 PM, Melvin Carvalho
> <melvincarvalho@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > On 11 December 2016 at 02:06, David Nicol <davidnicol@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> FWIW, my current thoughts on this are to use SHA1 hashes for
> >> everything. Following attempting to allow various sorts of identities
> >> with "identity strings," normalizing on hashes of some constant
> >> followed by the identifying string gives an interchangable 160-bit
> >> token that can be used without worrying about what it represents until
> >> you care.
> >

> > In what context do you want to use SHA1 hashes?
>
> Mainline DHT cloud storage.
>
> > Is there a path to interoperability?
>
> Thanks to the interledger protocol project, ABSOLUTELY.

Could you elaborate?

So if I can understand the DHT cloud storage you are working on denotes
users with a sha1 hash (or is it files too?)

PS git uses SHA-1 too for files

I am also working on distributed cloud storage but using http URIs as it
has the advantage of a large network effect.

Which systems have a path to interoperability, the cloud storage you
mention, the web based one I mention and ILP -- how does ILP leverage SHA-1?