Re: A Web of Ledgers [via Interledger Payments Community Group]

On 9 October 2015 at 19:42, W3C Community Development Team <
team-community-process@w3.org> wrote:

> Twenty five years ago the Web changed how we share information. Today
> anyone
> with Internet access can access trillions of documents instantly and for
> free.
> But the same has not happened for payments. It is still cheaper and faster
> in
> many cases to send a bundle of cash via Fedex than to send an international
> wire. In order to change that, it's important to learn from the experience
> of
> the Web.
>
> What made the Web - and the Internet for that matter - so powerful, was
> the fact
> that it allowed systems to offer interoperability while placing minimal
> requirements on them. Interoperability enabled competition because even
> smaller
> providers could reach a global audience. And the technical minimalism of
> the Web
> platform resulted in tremendous diversity.
>
> Can we do the same for payments?

I think so, yes! :)

I would like to see a ledger defined somewhere.  In particular the minimal
fields that can be used to create a ledger, which I think are:

<identifier> : <amount>

And an extensibility mechanism.

A URI is the logical choice for identifiers, and RDF for extensibility,
IMHO.  That's the solution I am working on, to ensure interop.  Loosely
based on:

http://www.w3.org/community/webpayments/wiki/Web_Credits

Any other systems out there?