Re: Need Agreement on Terminology

Like I mentioned during TPAC, I think "user action" or "user command" best describe these events to me.

Moving the cursor to the left isn't so much of an user intention
since the user's intention is probably moving the cursor in order to delete, type, etc… some line of text.
I think the intention is more of an overarching theme / concept the user has in back of his/her head.

I personally like "command" a lot since what we're discussing here parallels a "command item" in Win32 API:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/desktop/ms647591(v=vs.85).aspx

It's also similar to "commands" in Metro UI:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465309.aspx

You've raised a concern that this might be confusing due to a similarly design pattern:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_pattern
But I really don't think this is an issue since people usually refer to "command objects",
not "command events", in this context.

- R. Niwa