Da: Ben Peters [mailto:Ben.Peters@microsoft.com]
Inviato: marted́ 4 novembre 2014 01:03
A: public-editing-tf@w3.org; public-indie-ui@w3.org
Oggetto: Need Agreement on Terminology

We need to decide what will be the terminology for “Intentions”. So far, I
have been calling mouse, keyboard, etc input “Actions” and their events
“Action Events”. What a user is trying to do with them is an “Intention” and
their events are “Intention Events”. There has been considerable pushback
though due to “Web Intents” that share the same name and haven’t moved
forward recently. So what are your thoughts? We can potentially change
“Action Events” to “Device Events”, and change “Intention Events” to either
“Command Events” or “Action Events”. We need to decide though because it’s
getting confusingJ

Options for Mouse/Keyboard/Touch/Pointer Term:

·         Action Event: refers to User’s Action.

·         Device Event: refers to the idea that these are only available on
certain devices, which is why we want to discourage their direct use. Might
sound like something lower level than javascript (Windows Messages, for
instance)

Options for beforeInput, beforeSelectionChange Term:

·         Intention Event: referes to User’s Intention. Possiblly overloaded
by Web Intents.

·         Action Event: refers to the Browser/Site Action. Sounds somewhat
generic.

·         Command Event: refers to the data in the event itself. We are not
exactly following the Command design pattern, so this might be slightly
confusing too.

Please provide your thoughts. Thanks!

https://github.com/w3c/editing-explainer/issues/7

Ben