Re: [Events] UI Triggers for IndieUI Events 1.0

Responding to several of Rich's excellent comments below.
Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com> wrote:

> Section 5.1.1
> "May also need a way to associate IndieUI events with their physical event
> counterparts."
>
> Regarding the above comment, if we do this it should be non-normative and
> it will need to be platform dependent. We could have an authoring practices
> guide for this - similar to what we did for keyboard for aria. I don't
> think we want to normatively state the exact key bindings, etc. for a
> platform as the platform owner may wish to change conventions.

I agree. However, I understood the note here to be suggesting a function that
would return a representation of the physical events associated with an
IndieUI abstract event. This wouldn't allow the Web application to change the
association but only to read it, for example to populate help text in a user
interface.

Clearly, this needs further discussion.
> Overall: consider creating a table of uiaction, uitrigger, and
> uimanipulator token value definitions. It is good to have these all in one
> place.

Yes indeed.
> I know we spoke about this a somewhat at previous meetings but, regarding
> manipulation, we are going to have to specify information the author must
> supply to support it. We could use aria states and properties for some of
> this. For example if a slider moves request occurs and shows a particular
> amount we should state what values must be set in the DOM (or and API if
> the group prefers) to what say the new current value. We should also do
> things like supply a max and minimum and and increment. I don't think we
> can do this all in Indie UI. This comment is more for future discussions.

I think the relationship with ARIA is interesting here. The author should set
aria-valuemin and aria-valuemax on the slider, if possible. Presumably, it's
the responsibility of the UIValueChangeRequest listener to update
aria-valuenow and (if applicable) aria-valuetext.

We still need a function that associates movement of the manipulator element
(slider thumb in this case) with value changes, so that the Web application
receives UIValueChangeRequest events.