Re: User Contexts: identifying assistive technologies

We are really stepping on privacy issues be forcing the user to have to
expose the fact they are using a screen reader to be able to use a site.

Sent from my iPad

On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:00 PM, "James Craig" <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> On Jun 4, 2013, at 1:43 AM, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net> wrote:
>
> > James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
> >> What about adding type tokens, such as "screenreader", "magnifier",
etc.

> > Excellent. An AT can support more than one function.
>
> On second thought, I don't think that will work. Part of the reason for
splitting these up into separate WebIDL dictionaries is to support a
hasFeature() detection method similar to DOMImplementation.hasFeature().

> Just to make sure you're seeing the entire WebIDL blocks, you should be
viewing the editor's drafts in a JavaScript enabled browser.

> So for this existing WebIDL dictionary…
>
> dictionary ScreenReaderSettings {
>     boolean?   screenReaderActive = null;
>     DOMString? screenReaderName = null;
>     DOMString? screenReaderVersion = null;
> };
>
> …an author could do something like this: (Specific syntax TBD)
>
> if (window.settings.hasFeature('ScreenReaderSettings')) {
>  var isScreenReaderActive = window.settings.valueForKey
('screenReaderActive');
> }
>
> I think we'd want to set up a different *feature* altogether for
'MagnifierSettings' to standardize properties like zoom level, zoom window
size, center point, etc.