Re: Proposed Set of Needs/Preferences for v1

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Feb 2013 12:55:24 -0800
Cc: Richard Schwerdtfeger <schwer@us.ibm.com>, Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>, Sangwhan Moon <smoon@opera.com>
To: Andy Heath <AndyHeath@axelrod.plus.com>
On Feb 20, 2013, at 12:46 PM, Andy Heath <AndyHeath@axelrod.plus.com> wrote:

> It seems to me that we have a fundamental disagreement on whether we have some semantic set of preferences built in or whether its a general model that can express any (keyed) preferences defined externally and uniquely for each device vendor.
>
> I have two problems with the second approach
>
> 1. How do we get an individual's set of preferences into the device? We said there would be no mechanism for that in v1

If I'm understanding you correctly, this validates my previous point.

There is no current way to "get an individual's set of [external, wishlist] preferences into the device" and if there were, it would be different on each system, and therefore outside the scope of the specification. This is why in version 1.0 we should use preferences that already exist on operating systems, browsers, and assistive technology, and specify the way that web applications can access them.

> 2. How do we achieve the generality of preferences (the interoperability) that individuals need and web authors need to know about?

In my opinion, we start with the most common implementable ones for 1.0 and expand outward as needed.

James