Re: [user-context] What are the use cases for exposing screen reader or magnifier version info?

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 4:38 PM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> It would become more unwieldy when using larger data sets
> Every time the table scrolled, you'd have to update your CSS rule offset.
>
>  aria-posinset: calc(index + 163);
>
> Isn't that less code the updating the attribute in each of the rows in the
table?

Why bury functional information specific to one control inside a CSS rule?
> IMO, it's much better to store this on a DOM attr, even if it is more
> verbose.

You could make the same argument against CSS.

I think there are several potential arguments in favor:

>From a design perspective, I agree it's a matter of taste - but I can see
circumstances where web developers might love keeping ARIA details out of
the HTML so that content creators can feel free to hand-edit HTML.

>From a performance perspective, many web developers have experienced ARIA
slowing down page load time. Top web properties are obsessive about speed
and size (see [1], [2]), and I think it's really important that
accessibility isn't seen as something that burdens and slows down sites.

Finally, this could make it easier to take existing code and make it
accessible. Refactoring existing code to make it possible to add ARIA at
the right times is not always easy, and adding style rules might be simpler
and less risky.

- Dominic

[1]
http://blog.tagman.com/2012/03/just-one-second-delay-in-page-load-can-cause-7-loss-in-customer-conversions/