Draft of proposed CSS Media Features (Was: ACTION-50: Prepare a list of user context properties that might be able to be covered by media queries (Independent User Interface Task Force)

Here's the list of media features we could propose to the CSSWG. Captions/subtitles might be another, but I'm not sure it fits into media queries quite as cleanly as these.

base-color
base-background-color
base-font-size
base-letter-spacing
base-line-height
base-word-spacing
display-colors-inverted
display-contrast-increased
minimum-font-size

EXAMPLE:

In this example, the hardware display rendering is inverted, so the web app could double-invert foreground image and video content, which usually looks strange while inverted. This would leave text foreground color, all background colors, and background styles inverted to adhere to user setting.

@media (display-colors-inverted: inverted) {
	img, video {
		filter: invert(100%);
	}
}

On Apr 10, 2013, at 2:54 PM, Independent User Interface Task Force Issue Tracker <sysbot+tracker@w3.org> wrote:

> ACTION-50: Prepare a list of user context properties that might be able to be covered by media queries (Independent User Interface Task Force)
>
> http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/track/actions/50

PROPOSED VALUES:

/* display settings */
display-colors-inverted: inverted | off;
display-contrast-increased: <percentage>;

/* color settings */
base-color: <color>;
base-background-color: <color>;

/* type and font defaults */
minimum-font-size: <size>;
base-font-size: <size>;
base-letter-spacing: <number>; /* unitless multiplier of current em value? */
base-word-spacing: <number>; /* unitless multiplier of current em value? */
base-line-height: <number>; /* unitless multiplier of current em value? */

Relating to the Microsoft media feature proposal previously mentioned by PFWG to the CSSWG.

> -ms-high-contrast: active | black-on-white | white-on-black | none;
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/apps/hh465764.aspx

/* adjusting to cover both the Microsoft proposal as well as other platforms that have a slider value for color variants */

-ms-high-contrast: active; would be equivalent to:
	display-contrast-increased: 100%;

-ms-high-contrast: black-on-white; would be equivalent to:
	display-contrast-increased: 100%;
	base-color: black;
	base-background-color: white;

-ms-high-contrast: white-on-black; would be equivalent to:
	display-contrast-increased: 100%;
	base-color: white;
	base-background-color: black;

-ms-high-contrast: none; would be equivalent to the default value:
	display-contrast-increased: 0%;