Re: Indie UI Repository structure

On 6/21/12 1:31 AM, ext Sangwhan Moon wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jun 2012 09:13:13 +0900, Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
> wrote:
>
>> Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org> wrote:
>>
>>> It has been proposed that the version identifier be dropped as a
>>> containing folder. I don't yet have the knowledge of Mercurial to
>>> understand if we can maintain a clear relationship between branches and
>>> W3C versions.
>>
>> I am much more familiar with Git than with Mercurial, though they are
>> similar
>> in broad outline.
>>
>> A further issue to consider is whether scripts are executed when a
>> commit is
>> made that update the editor's draft on the W3C site, and, more
>> generally, how
>> the repository is tied to the W3C's publication process. This may affect
>> branch structure, e.g., if commits made to the master branch result in
>> automatic publication within working group Web space, which is how
>> the W3C's
>> CVS repository used to work when I was an editor.
>
> If you create a named branch that corresponds to the W3C version, it
> should be accessible
> using the following URL syntax:
>
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/[repository_name]/raw-file/[branch_name]/[filename]
>
> As a example, Touch Events Version 1 can be accessed with the
> following URL:
> http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/webevents/raw-file/v1/touchevents.html
>
> (I can help with the branch setup after a draft is in place if needed)

Great and thanks for the info above Sangwhan.

So Michael - I agree with Sangwhan that we should use branches (rather
than directories with version names/ids). If someone has never used
branches, they can be a bit tricky both for the person editing a doc
(the `push'er`) and the person that just wants their browser to display
a doc but they also provide some advantages.

If we use branches, the directory structure you proposed in [1] could
then be simplified like this ...

TOP=http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/indieui/

$TOP/events/indie-ui-events.html
$TOP/events/tests/

$TOP/context/indie-ui-context.html
$TOP/context/tests/

The users could then view the latest version (aka "tip") of the specs via:

$TOP/events/raw-file/tip/indie-ui-events.html
$TOP/context/raw-file/tip/indie-ui-context.html

Assuming "v1" branches are created for each of these two html files, the
user would use the following to view the v1 branches:

$TOP/events/raw-file/v1/indie-ui-events.html
$TOP/context/raw-file/v1/indie-ui-context.html

You could of course include the `spec` directory you proposed too, but
it doesn't seem necessary (although I don't feel strongly either way).

(BTW, if there is interest, I have a short Mercurial/Hg "cheatsheet" I
can send to you or can upload to some wiki if there is broader interest.)

-AB

[1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-indie-ui/2012Jun/0021.html