W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-indie-ui@w3.org > June 2012

Minutes Initial Indie UI Teleconference 6 June 2012

From: Michael Cooper <cooper@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 08 Jun 2012 08:02:41 -0400
Message-ID: <4FD1E9E1.6030908@w3.org>
To: Indie UI <public-indie-ui@w3.org>
Minutes of the 6 June 2012 Indie UI meeting are posted to
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html and copied below.


  Indie UI


    06 Jun 2012

See also: IRC log <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-irc>


    Attendees

Present
    Andy_Heath, Art_Barstow, Cooper, Doug_Schepers, Janina_Sajka,
    Joseph_Scheuhammer, Rich, Sam_Joehl, jcraig
Regrets
Chair
    Janina_Sajka
Scribe
    MichaelC


    Contents

    * Topics <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#agenda>
         1. Welcome & Introductions
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#item01>
         2. TF Overview; Relationship to Web Events and to WAI Indie UI
            WG <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#item02>
         3. Home page for TF
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#item03>
         4. Variants of spelling of "Indie UI"
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#item04>
         5. Teleconference time
            <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#item05>
    * Summary of Action Items
      <http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#ActionSummary>

------------------------------------------------------------------------


      Welcome & Introductions

js: Janina Sajka, chair of Indie UI and Protocols and Formats

and will facilitate this task force initially

have worked in Linux foundation, DAISY / EPub

mc: Michael Cooper, staff contact to Indie UI, PF, WCAG

ds: Doug Schepers, staff contact to Web Events

and a bunch of others scribe missed

ah: Andy Heath, working in several accessibility standards organizations

<missed details>

js: Joseph Scheuhammer, IDRC in Toronto

have worked in a11y a long time, particularly Gnome

ab: Art Barstow, Nokia, co-chair Web Events and Web Applications

worked in W3C standards most of this century

jc: James Craig, Apple

also contributed to W3C on WCAG 2 and CSS 2

and recently in PFWG on ARIA

with a co-worker, wrote a starting proposal for deliverables of this group

rs: Rich Schwerdtfeger, CTO for IBM accessibility

have worked in a11y nearly 20 years

work in PFWG, HTML

IMS Global Learning Consortium

interested in device independent access to mobile

and IBM products should be able to move across devices without concern
about platform nuances


      TF Overview; Relationship to Web Events and to WAI Indie UI WG

js: This is the Independent User Interface Task Force

there are two paths to participate, because two W3C groups collaborate
on this deliverable

Indie UI WG, set up as a spin-out from PFWG

and Web Events WG

expect the Indie UI home page to be pretty much as it is
http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/

most of the work will actually happen in this task force

<currently represented by http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF>
<http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF%3E>

we have the starter draft James submitted

we can adopt, modify, or restart

ultimately will have a deliverable

that will be published by the sponsoring WGs

<summarizes deliverables>

<see http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/#scope for details>

an event layer

and a way to communicate user preferences and configuration to Web App

need to address privacy and security concerns

ds: currently these deliverables are framed as accessibility oriented

suggest framing instead as jointly accessibility and web apps

our primary concern is universal applicabiltiy

<clown> +1

useful to people making any kind of content that would work on various
devices

js: agreed, we'll look at language

re recruiting, we do have a lot of accessibility people right now, want
to be sure we get representatives from other types of organizations as well

<shepazu> +1

rs: in addition to browser developers, we should recruit app developers

<shepazu> +1

to understand use cases etc.

jc: would also like to reach out to assistive technology developers

js: let's come back to these suggestions under recruiting topic
... on group structure

we do have some standard infrastructure used by W3C

have two staff contacts, one from each sponsoring WG

do plan to made task force decisions in teleconferences

though will offer a call for objections via mailing list and / or
web-based survey as well

my experience is that telecon discussions help to move some discussions
along more expeditiously

than email and other asynchronous channels

but don't want to pin us into specific tools or approaches

re Face to Face meetings

this group might be ready for one by TPAC in Oct / Nov 2012

so have reserved a slot in that meeting week

for editing, plan to use commit then review style

which is quicker than review than commit

but reserve right to modify the style if we see the need

note it does work well in some WGs

The group operates in public

the mailing list is self-subscribe so non-members can join discussion

if problems arise from that, we'll address them

ds: also plan to have a planning list for chairs and staff contacts

can use that list if you need to raise sensitive issues that shouldn't
be shared with group or archived publicly

will announce that list when it's set up

also, I suggest we give a week for calls for objection

easier for some people to work with than 48 hours, and doesn't impact
logistics much

js: sounds good

<ArtB> AB: http://www.w3.org/2010/webevents/wiki/WorkMode

ab: work mode sounds good, and similar to Web Events


      Home page for TF

-> http://www.w3.org/WAI/IndieUI/IUITF IUI TF work statement

mc: question of whether we should have a home page for the TF besides
the work statement

and want to get review of the proposed draft work statement

ultimately want the sponsoring WGs to approve it

ds: let's discuss this on email

so people have a chance to review

and copy Web Events

need to consider whether TF resolutions are binding on sponsoring
groups, or whether resolutions need to be co-ratified

I propose the TF resolutions be presumed approved by the sponsoring groups

after the call for objection expires

mc: does this mean we have to copy stuff to Web events?

ab: no, I'll make sure Web events people who care are directly involved

mc: well, Indie UI WG and TF overlap, so I have no concerns from that angle

but if DS and AB ok on Web Events side, I can be ok

but wonder if at least for TR publications, we should require ratification

ds: will look into Process formalities

<scribe> *ACTION:* shepazu to look at whether Process allows a TF to
make resolutions binding on a WG, including TF publications [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action01]

mc: at least DS and AB should be present when such a resolution recorded

ds: at least one Web Events person should be


      Variants of spelling of "Indie UI"

js: there are three ways Indie UI is spelled

Indie UI

IndieUI

indie-ui

will this be confusing?

<shepazu> NDUI (Neutral-Device User Interface) :)

in the IndieUI case, some AT will pronounce weird

does that matter?

I'm most worried about the IRC channel

jc: I prefer indie-ui for lower-case situations, and IndieUI for other
situations

didn't find that Indie UI variant really needed as a distinguisher from
IndieUI

mc: charter uses Indie UI, don't know if that can be changed, though
other instances could be

ds: think it can be

<clown> +1

*RESOLUTION: use "indie-ui" for lower-case-only situations, and
"IndieUI" for other situations, and drop "Indie UI"*

<scribe> *ACTION:* cooper to change instances of Indie UI to IndieUI
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action02]


      Teleconference time

js: this time was a first proposal

should there be another time?

<none suggested>

mc: let's make sure to poll list, since the people in this call are the
people who could attend this time

js: will do that

also, let's set up the second call even before the recurring time set up

propose next Wednesday at the same time

jc: regrets for next week

js: would want JC present at kick-off

<Sam Joehl joins>

sj: Sam Joehl, from SSB Bart group

js: should we have 60-minute or 90-minute calls?

think we have enough leftover agenda for a call next week anyways

js: Rich, IMS has stuff for us too?

<clown> http://www.imsglobal.org <http://www.imsglobal.org/>

rs: yes, they have stuff targeted to learner customization

shortly publish 3.0 version

<clown> http://www.imsglobal.org/accessibility/index.html

also in discussion to merge with APIP

<scribe> *ACTION:* janina to investigate possibility of Indie UI taking
up materials from IMS Access For All 3.0 and IMS APIP 1.0 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action03]

<clown> http://www.imsglobal.org/apip/index.html

jc: want to be sure meetings aren't so frequent or long that key players
avoid coming to them

so suggest once every other week for 60 minutes

mc: next week is exceptional because we're starting up

ds: so we meet this week, next week, the following, then go to every
other week

js: how long?

<general request is 60 minute calls>

Next meeting: Wednesday 13 July at 17:00 UTC for 60 minutes

ds: note we need to be sure people on the calls are formal participants
in the group

mc: for startup think we should be flexible but yes, we'll need to
enforce that when the work gets going

ds: if you're not already a member, please contact Michael or Doug


    Summary of Action Items

*[NEW]* *ACTION:* cooper to change instances of Indie UI to IndieUI
[recorded in http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action02]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* janina to investigate possibility of Indie UI taking
up materials from IMS Access For All 3.0 and IMS APIP 1.0 [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action03]
*[NEW]* *ACTION:* shepazu to look at whether Process allows a TF to make
resolutions binding on a WG, including TF publications [recorded in
http://www.w3.org/2012/06/06-indie-ui-minutes.html#action01]
 
[End of minutes]
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Minutes formatted by David Booth's scribe.perl
<http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/%7Echeckout%7E/2002/scribe/scribedoc.htm>
version 1.136 (CVS log <http://dev.w3.org/cvsweb/2002/scribe/>)
$Date: 2012/06/06 18:10:30 $


-- 

Michael Cooper
Web Accessibility Specialist
World Wide Web Consortium, Web Accessibility Initiative
E-mail cooper@w3.org <mailto:cooper@w3.org>
Information Page <http://www.w3.org/People/cooper/>
Received on Friday, 8 June 2012 12:05:01 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Friday, 8 June 2012 12:05:01 GMT