Re: IndieUI-ISSUE-8 (TTS context dictionary): Need a way to define a context and pronunciation dictionary on a per-resource basis. [IndieUI: User Context 1.0]

From: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2012 19:57:28 +1100
To: public-indie-ui@w3.org
James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:
> I'm getting a little carried away here, but I just want to get these other
> ideas out (and associated with the issue) while the thread is fresh. I was
> originally thinking simple key/value pairs were best to keep it simple, but
> we may want to just bite the bullet and do explicit methods.

This certainly helps to clarify the proposal.

In my earlier contribution to the thread, I suggested that it may not be
necessary to distinguish formally between pronunciations specified in a
phonetic notation and those given as alternative text. The rationale was that
I thought the UA would be able to determine whether phonetics were used by
checking whether the characters in the string are within a given Unicode
range, e.g., all letter/diacritic combinations from the International Phonetic
Alphabet. Upon second consideration, though, this might be error prone and it
does require additional work of the UA, thus on balance a third (optional)
argument (key, value, valueType) seems desirable

I would make it a named constant rather than a string argument and define the
constants in the interface, but that's just a matter of preference.