Re: IndieUI-ISSUE-8 (TTS context dictionary): Need a way to define a context and pronunciation dictionary on a per-resource basis. [IndieUI: User Context 1.0]

From: James Craig <jcraig@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 17:55:26 -0800
Cc: public-indie-ui@w3.org
To: Jason White <jason@jasonjgw.net>
On Dec 4, 2012, at 11:03 AM, James Craig <jcraig@apple.com> wrote:

> Delimiting by slashes is reserved in JavaScript for regular expressions, but we could use the standard slashes inside a quoted string ("/foo/").
>
> window.tts.phonetics['Phitt'] = "fit"; // word as homonym in currently used language
> window.tts.phonetics['feat'] = "/fit/"; // phonetic representation in IPA
>
> We could also potentially start the string with a reserved control character (e.g. "~fit") but I like the quoted slashes idea better.

Reading a bit more, I'm not sure the slashes are the best control character, as they imply a loose phonetic match that could occur as a substring. Slashes, brackets, braces, and parentheses seem to be reserved along with most of the Western European letterforms. We could consider mathematical symbols as the control characters to delineate phonetic strings.

≡ 	identical to
≅ 	approximately equal to
∴	therefore