Re: Wiki update

On 11/2/14, 3:45 AM, "Silvia Pfeiffer" <silviapfeiffer1@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, Oct 29, 2014 at 8:48 AM, Cyril Concolato
><cyril.concolato@telecom-paristech.fr> wrote:
>> Hi Jean-Pierre,
>>
>> Le 28/10/2014 05:02, Abello, Jean-Pierre a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello Cyril,
>>>
>>> It was great meeting you today.
>>
>> Thanks. I'm glad to meet people who have interest in the work of this
>>CG.
>>>

>>> It would be awesome if the spec could also define mappings for HLS.
>>
>> Yes, I do think HLS is another format that we should target. It has some
>> commonalities with existing formats that we target: DASH for the use of
>> manifests and adaptative streaming aspects; and MPEG-2 TS as a segment
>> format. The basics of exposing tracks from TS should be reusable. It
>>might
>> need some tweaking compared to what we started specifying, for instance
>> expose ID3 Tag PES streams. In an informal discussion with Eric (in
>>copy), I
>> discovered that WebKit already exposes them using some API, see:
>>
>>http://trac.webkit.org/browser/trunk/LayoutTests/http/tests/media/track-i
>>n-band-hls-metadata.html
>
>For the record: I do have some reservations about adding DASH and HLS
>support, since browsers do not typically support these formats
>natively. Actually, HLS is supported in Safari, so it has some excuse,
>but DASH is only supported via Media Source Extensions. I have been
>worried about that a bit.

There has been text added to the spec for DASH using MSE. MSE behavior is
that the UA sources tracks based on information in Initialization
Segments. The application may specify default track attributes for those
tracks, which the UA will use if those same  attributes are not sourced
from Initialization Segment data. It seems useful to me for the sourcing
spec to describe this.

On a related note, I plan to submit an MSE bug so that it references the
sourcing spec for sourcing tracks as described above.