RE: Still about "id" format

>The PID is used by the Web application to correlate a video, audio or text track, created from an MPEG-2 TS media resource, with the PMT data exposed as TextTrackCues.

The "id" property must have other use cases than what you mention as it's defined in HTML5 which doesn't expose PMT data as TextTrackCues.

As far as I can see from the email archive, this group has not yet made a decision to follow the approach of exposing PMT data as TextTrackCues. The "Re: Recap of TPAC discussion" email includes an alternative that looks much more reasonable to me. If that alternative was to be adopted then the use-case for "id" mentioned previously goes away.

"This was to set an attribute on all video, audio and text tracks that contain that tracks media resource metadata. The inbandTrackMetadataDispatchType [1] attribute  essentially fills this role for TextTracks with 'kind' == metatdata. We could propose adding this attribute to video and audio tracks, and renaming it trackMetadata."

I can understand non-W3C groups taking the approach of exposing PMT data as TextTrackCues in order to avoid forking any W3C APIs. However for the W3C to follow this approach instead of the approach mentioned in the "Re: Recap of TPAC discussion" email would seem utterly bizarre to me.

> Thus, it is not required that the PID have any end-to-end identity. The PMT data will contain the component_tag, if present, and therefore Web app can access that if needed.

The use-cases that motivated adding the "id" property in the first place should be looked at to see if any of them need or would benefit from end-to-end identity.

Jon