Re: Window on World

That was roughly my thinking, too, when I filed this issue: https://github.com/immersive-web/proposals/issues/31

From: Blair MacIntyre <bmacintyre@mozilla.com>
Date: Monday, December 17, 2018 at 11:15 AM
To: "john@gwinner.org" <john@gwinner.org>, Ada Rose Cannon <ada@ada.is>
Cc: "public-immersive-web@w3.org" <public-immersive-web@w3.org>
Subject: Re: Window on World

In classic VR research, that tended to be referred to as "Fishtank VR” … was popular when it was the only thing possible (using shutter glasses and a synch’d display, exactly like modern 3D TVs).

The difference with it and what’s been referred to as diorama mode is that the diorama’s are “fish tanks displayed in a full 3D display” (e.g., 6 DOF AR or VR)  vs “a 3D world anchored to a real-world display”. From a programmer viewpoint, it may not matter much;  both would likely be used from a web page with the expectation of the user not being immersed “in” the world.  And both would receive the user head-pose relative to the display/diarama/fishtank, rather than in a separate external 3D coordinate system.

This also feels like what zspace displays would use.

---
Blair MacIntyre
Principle Research Scientist

https://pronoun.is/he/him