Re: 3d favicons

On 08/17/2018 07:16 PM, Rik Cabanier wrote:
> Thanks Nell!
>
> We'll write up a proposal.
> It will mostly build on the existing favicon syntax but will use gltf
> instead of ico. If other people already have an implementation, please
> let us know so we can work on the document together.

I remember there being a session at the W3C Workshop on Web & Virtual
Reality in 2016
(https://www.khronos.org/events/w3c-workshop-on-web-virtual-reality)
which touched on this.  Might be some interesting info in the video
archives -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vWf_jxoirI&list=PLo3w8EB99pqIj_XNvNEMAaBtL_jyxSLmz

Samsung introduced a preliminary version of this in Samsung Internet
Browser, the Skybox API - https://samsunginter.net/docs/skybox - I
remember there being some discussion about a <meta> tag which would let
you specify it in the HTML, but I'm not sure if that was ever implemented.

I also seem to remember Oculus Browser was working on something to do
with gltf favicons, I can't find any info on that though.  Looks like
Justin just replied separately though :)

JanusVR would be interested in any discussion about this standard, we're
also interested in adding this feature.

--
James Baicoianu
Principal Engineer, JanusVR