Re: [AGENDA] 2018-08-10 W3C IIP teleconference

Hi Folks,

We will be starting our 1 hour meeting in about 14 minutes. Here are
Muthu's comments on the Tamil gap analysis. Please take a moment to read
through before the meeting. Thanks!

*2.7 Numbers, dates, etc*

The usage of Tamil numerals has fallen out of common usage, though we do
find them used occasionally by a few. ASCII numerals are used in common
practice, and thus should be the default or fallback when there are no
options available.

ta_my and ta_sg follows the English number format (123,456,789,000) and do
not follow the number format used in ta_in and ta_lk.

*2.8 Text boundaries & selection*

There are only two sequence of characters that form conjuncts in Tamil.
Both are not native to Tamil. ஶ்ரீ and க்ஷ.  Other than these two, no other
CHC combinations form conjuncts. We should be able to place the cursor
between the H and C (eg: CH<cursor>C). This issue was fixed in Android Oreo
and iOS 12. The problem exists in many places and needs checking to
identify which browsers support and which do not.

*2.10.1 Syllable/Akshara spacing*

Need to understand what is meant by: *Consonant+Matra+Matra, the breaking
seems to stack ill formed akshara into one set instead of clearly breaking
it separate. This breaking behaviour needs to improve. *

Consonant+Matra+Matra is valid in Tamil

*2.12.1 Underline and Overline behaviour *

Tamil and other south Indian scripts do not have a shirorekha or line below
as in Devanagari. The underline should match that of Latin in a bilingual
(or dual script) document, which is more common in Malaysia and Singapore.
However, it needs to align with the underline of Devanagari when it
combines with Hindi or Sanskrit.

*3.1 and 3.2 Line breaking and hyphenation*

There are some simple rules for line breaking. Different people use
different implementations. However, I can’t find a decent document for this
online. Here’s a paper presented at a conference held in Singapore:
https://www.academia.edu/671796/Tamil_Hyphenator_P._David_Prabhakar.
The First 3 rules in the section Rules for Tamil Hyphenation is a good
start.

*3.4 Counters, lists, etc*

Need to understand : the other relies on the user-defined mechanism
specified in that spec in order to be applied.
Shouldn’t the default be ASCII numerals and, Tamil numerals be user defined?

*3.5 Initial letter styling*

Need to be mindful of conjuncts as defined in 2.8 above.

*3.7 Other paragraph features*

Tamil can start a paragraph with or without indents. Paragraph features are
the same as English.

Best,
Alolita