Re: [url] Requests for Feedback (was Feedback from TPAC)

On 2014-12-22 15:04, Sam Ruby wrote:

>>> If there is a program I can use to mechanically check for RFC 3986
>>> compliance and shows how a given URI is to be interpreted (scheme, host,
>>> path, query, fragment, etc.), I'll gladly update my results.
>>
>> RFC 3986 has a regexp that's expected to parse valid URIs consistent
>> with the ABNF; see
>> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc3986.html#rfc.section.B>.
>
> That is indeed a regular expression.  I'll even grant that it seems
> likely to handle valid URIs correctly.  My concern is that it also
> processes a large number of invalid URIs, for example:
> "http://192.168.0.257"

That is true; there'll be false positives; but that's still better than
having to checks at all :-)

That being said, I once mapped the normative ABNF to regexps and
processed them in XSLT; see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/tc/uris/>; I can
try to leverage that to create a proper regexp from that.

Best regards, Julian