Re: Using 209 for Contents of Related

* Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net> [2014-08-19 16:21+1000]
> Hi Philippe,
>
> With my HTTPbis Chair hat on --
>
> > On 19 Aug 2014, at 12:06 am, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org> wrote:
> >
> > Dear Apps Area Chairs, IETF contact, and HTTP Chair,
> >
> > The Linked Data Platform WG is using a new response code to shortcut the
> > common POST->303 Location:X, GET ->200 interaction.
>
> "Using" here causes concern; is it no longer "proposing"?

This is within the WG which means that we have control over it (everyone's playing nicely and aware that this is provisional).

> > Eric Prud'hommeaux submitted a draft [2NN] before the last IETF meeting
> > in Toronto, but Mark said that the HTTPbis WG is too busy to take this
> > up and that we should take it to the Applications WG.
>
> I don't recall doing that.

Yeah, I told PLH that you had told me to take it to Applications, but searching my email, I think it was instead Yves or someone else who had suggested this, which means this request must come out of left field. Apologies!

The issue does remain, however; would it be better to take this to Applications?

> I emailed Eric (and others) about this in June, but didn't get a response until 17 July, by which time it was too late, so I suggested the Honolulu meeting (but still in httpbis).
>
> Eric is free to bring it up on the WG mailing list in the meantime, of course.

I got a couple of private emails discussing the impact on caches, but nothing on-list. Should I poke the list somehow, and if so, is there a protocol to say "pay attention to me!"?

> It's getting hard to escape the feeling that people expect that the HTTP WG is going to rubber-stamp this proposal; I wouldn't make that assumption, and (once again) encourage its proponents to bring it up on the WG mailing list.

I understand the concearn, but I think the TAG and the LDP WG are anxious to engage the community about this. I'd like to get some idea of the right forum so I can guage interest and issues.

> Regards,
>

> --

-ericP

office: +1.617.599.3509