Re: draft-klensin-net-utf8-03.txt

A revision should be up fairly soon, probably this week.  It
will contain little or nothing in terms of substantive changes,
but some editorial work is being done on it.   I first need to
review some comments from active Unicode Consortium members that
seem to be contradictory (especially to advice given by others
of them earlier) and to show a lack of appreciation of the
context of the problem.

The one specific issue that "folks on the W3C side" should be
aware of is that this specifies a strong requirement for CRLF
line-endings.  It has been suggested that, since HTML can accept
variations on that theme, this would should as well.   So far,
the response has been that the flexibility for what goes over
the wire causes trouble that is all out of proportion to its
convenience.

Additional insights on that subject (or anything else in the
draft) would be welcome.

      john

--On Tuesday, May 01, 2007 9:36 AM -0400 Thomas Roessler