W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > public-ietf-w3c@w3.org > June 2007

Minutes: 7 March 2007 W3C/IETF call

From: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 10:49:03 +0200
To: public-ietf-w3c@w3.org
Message-ID: <20070618084903.GT29551@raktajino.does-not-exist.org>

----- Forwarded message from Ted Hardie <hardie@qualcomm.com> -----

IETF-W3C Liaison Call, March 7, 2007
Chair:  Ted Hardie

Attendees: Leslie Daigle, Chris Newman, Ted Hardie, Mark Nottingham, John Klensin,
		   Dan Connolly, Tim Berners-Lee, Thomas Roessler, Philippe Le Hageret 


Agenda

Review of Action Items
Review of AD transition
HTTP pre-BoF in Prague (Mark Nottingham)
Link Header Revival (Mark Nottingham)
RFC 3864 Header Registration process (Dan Connolly)
CharMod Material as normative references in IETF work (John Klensin)
Creation of W3C HTML WG (Dan Connolly)
Tao of the IETF question (Dan Connolly)
New W3C work around XML security (Thomas Roessler)
Schedule next meeting

Action Items:
All current Action Items are complete. 
New Actions derived from this meeting were:

	Mark Nottingham to talk to ATOMPUB folks about link headers
	Mark Nottingham, Chris Newman and Ted Hardie to discuss adding Profile to the message header
		registry.
	John Klensin to review charmod normalization work ongoing in the W3C; Richard Ishida is the
		W3C contact.

Review of AD Transition
	Chris Newman, the incoming Applications Area Director, was introduced and a brief review of
		Area Advisor assignments was given.

HTTP pre-BoF
	Mark Nottingham gave details on the HTTP discussion meeting set for Prague in association
		with  IETF 68.  This is not an official BoF, as there were concerns about there being
		a critical mass, but a meeting intended to work through an issues list with a small group
		of interested participants.  Dan asked for a random selection from the issues list; Mark
		gave a pointer to the issues list (http://www.w3.org/Protocols/HTTP/1.1/rfc2616bis/issues/)
		and noted the behavior of clients using OPTIONS * and an update to the URI reference
		as two issues from the list.  The group then discussed whether this would provide an
		opportunity for an updated test suite; this does seem to be one possible outcome, though
		not likely to be a chartered item.

Link Header Revival
	ATOMPUB recently standardized link relations.  Its syntax is slightly different from the
		form in the now-expired link header draft.  Because that draft was referenced by the
		W3C (Griddle), it should be revived.  That requires discussion of how to harmonize
		the two approaches.  In particular, the base HTML behavior presumes that unqualified
		link relations are those created by the document author, where the ATOMPUB
		specification presumes that they are from the IANA registered set if they are not
		qualified.  See above action item for next steps.

RFC 3864 Header Registration process
	The group discussed the applicaiton of the header registration process generally, and how
		to progress a registration of Profile in particular.  See above action item for next steps.

CharMod Material as normative references in IETF work
	John Klensin asked the W3C folks for guidance on the stability and generality of the
		charmod work which is now being suggested as reference within the IETF for
		documents related to unicode escapes and internationalized strings.  Dan replied
		that the work was split in order to handle two different levels of completeness.
		The recommendation is exhaustively documented and 15 years old.  It is stable.
		The work on IRIs is awaiting completion of a test suite moving forward.  The work
		on normalization is waiting to advance.  The W3C considers the recommendation
		sufficiently general to be used outside XML.  For normalization, ongoing questions
		include which party normalizes and how to handle the situation when a single
		entity takes multiple roles in a normalized protocol exchange.  The group agreed
		that converging the normalization work in the IETF, W3C, and Unicode consortium
		would be useful.  See above action item for next steps.

Creation of W3C HTML Working Group
	Dan Connolly noted that the W3C had created this working group and that he will
		be serving as its chair.
	
Tao of the IETF question
	The group discussed how to reflect community expectation that changes that have
		broad-scale implications would benefit from community review. It is probably time to get
		some of the community consensus on that into the public statements.

New W3C work around XML security
	Thomas Roessler noted that the W3C has chartered a group to sort out XML canonicalization
		and signature issues. ÝThe work has a narrow charter, but the XMLsignature RFC may need
		to change as a result, as may the transform.  The W3C aims to coordinate this work with
		the IETF, OASIS, and others.  It will put forward an individual submission RFC to coordinate
		with the IETF.  It also has permission to hold one of the group's face to face meetings as
		a workshop, in order to allow for broad attendance.  One other aspect of the group's charter
		is to put forward a roadmap for further work.

Next meeting set for:

	20th June 1. pm. PST/ 4 pm. EST; Thomas Roessler will serve as Chair.




----- End forwarded message -----
Received on Monday, 18 June 2007 10:41:07 GMT

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.2.0+W3C-0.50 : Tuesday, 8 January 2008 14:12:56 GMT