DIX/SXIP delegation tag, HTML LINK rel, and profiles

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 16:29:31 -0500
Cc: public-ietf-w3c@w3.org, Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>, dix@ietf.org
To: John Merrells <merrells@sxip.com>, Lisa Dusseault <lisa@osafoundation.org>

John, Lisa,

It was good to see you at the W3C authorization workshop this week.
   http://www.w3.org/2005/Security/usability-ws/program
I'm pretty excited about DIX/SXIP and related web-like authorization
mechanisms,
but I don't think I can swing a trip to Dallas for the BOF next week.
   http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/06mar/agenda/dix.html

It's great that DIX/SXIP uses URIs for naming, and that it delegates
via DNS.

But the way it's done in section 5.10.3.2. Delegation Tag
of http://dixs.org/index.php/Draft-merrells-dix-01.txt ...
    <LINK REL="dix:/homesite" HREF="http://www.sxip.net/homesite"/>

... isn't using HTML as designed and specified.

In HTML 4, we added a profile attribute to the head element for this
purpose.
   section 7.4.4.3 Meta data profiles

http://www.w3.org/TR/1999/REC-html401-19991224/struct/global.html#h
-7.4.4.3

So I suggest in stead:

   <head profile="http://dixs.org/terms#">
    <link rel="homesite" href="http://www.sxip.net/homesite"/>

(more on dix: vs dixs.org separately.)

I note the draft doesn't include a normative reference to any HTML
specifications. Please
add one.

Also, the proposed charter ( http://dixs.org/index.php/DIX_Charter )
does not make
any connection to HTML. Please add something to note that use of HTML
syntax,
especially extensibility mechanisms like rel and profile, is in scope,
in order to attract
review from relevant experts.