progress on ietf.org persistence, structured archive

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Aug 2005 18:02:30 -0500
To: public-ietf-w3c@w3.org

I recently learned that the IETF has made a commitment
to the persistence of its RFC archive:

The full
   text of the specification is then available using the following URL:

   where "NNNN" is the number of the RFC being submitted.
 -- section 3.4.2 Submitting IETF Documents to JTC1

I think that's great.

I hope to see more progress. I hope that when WGs
expire, rather than going 404 as they currently
do, charter pages should say "this WG has expired" or
even 410 gone.

As to Internet Drafts, I learned that ISOC maintains
the equivalent of the W3C "latest version" URI,
complete with status info:

I also (re-)learned about an RFC index in XML

  <- http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E