suggestion re: media type registration

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 09:38:10 -0700
To: public-ietf-w3c@w3.org

Just curious -

Has the W3C considered a policy of registering media types in the vnd.
tree? E.g.,
   application/vnd.w3c.soap+xml

It seems to me that this may help avoid some of the delays and overhead
with registration in the IETF tree*, and would encourage use of the
vnd. and prs. trees by example, so that people wouldn't be prejudiced
against them.

Just a thought,

* Although since my last post, I've had a report that vnd registration
with IANA is also quite slow and unpredictable...