Re: Pursuing question of mime types in W3C specifications and nextactions

From: John Stracke <JStracke@incentivesystems.com>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 15:29:37 -0400 (EDT)
To: "Lloyd Wood" <L.Wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
Cc: "Martin Duerst" <duerst@w3.org>, <ietf@ietf.org>, "Ian B. Jacobs" <ij@w3.org>, <ned.freed@mrochek.com>, <public-ietf-w3c@w3.org>
>> Yesterday I participated in a W3C/IETF coordination
>> call where one of the topics was about the registration
>> of mime types defined by W3C Recommendations. A summary
>> of the meeting will be available soon to the W3C Membership.
>
>what about the IETF membership?

Why would the process be any different for the W3C than for anybody else? It is perfectly possible to have a MIME registration RFC that references a non-IETF document for the actual syntax of the format.  For example, see RFC-3240.

|John Stracke                    |Principal Engineer           |
|jstracke@incentivesystems.com   |Incentive Systems, Inc.      |
|http://www.incentivesystems.com <<http://www.incentivesystems.com/>>  |My opinions are my own.      |
|"HTTP is what happens in the absence of good design." -- Keith|
|Moore                                                         |