Re: Pursuing question of mime types in W3C specifications and nextactions

From: Ian B. Jacobs <ij@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 15:39:50 -0400
To: Lloyd Wood <L.Wood@eim.surrey.ac.uk>
CC: John Stracke <JStracke@incentivesystems.com>, Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>, ietf@ietf.org, ned.freed@mrochek.com, public-ietf-w3c@w3.org

Lloyd Wood wrote:

>>>what about the IETF membership?
>>
>>Why would the process be any different for the W3C than for anybody
>>else? It is perfectly possible to have a MIME registration RFC that
>>references a non-IETF document for the actual syntax of the format.
>>For example, see RFC-3240.
>

> The W3C members pay good money to see that their formats become
> standards, dammit.
>
> To be clear, I am asking why the summary of the meeting will only be
> made available to the (closed, fee-paying) W3C membership.

Lloyd,

I do not know whether there will be a public summary
of the meeting.

Joseph Reagle has captured in a public document [1]
the practical steps W3C WGs should take to register
a MIME type with IANA.

  - Ian

[1] http://www.w3.org/2002/06/registering-mediatype

Tel:                     +1 718 260-9447