Re: draft-newman-i18n-collation-09.txt just posted

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 20:25:19 +0200
To: ietf-imapext@imc.org, ietf-mta-filters@imc.org
Cc: Mark Davis <mark.davis@icu-project.org>, public-ietf-collation@w3.org

Arnt Gulbrandsen writes:
> Mark Davis writes:
>> At a quick glance, it appears that a number of comments have been
>> incorporated.
>
> It is possible that some of my changes don't satisfy you. I had
> conflicting requests for many things. Feel free to repeat, rephrase
> or add arguments.

In -10 (which I'll send off once I finish work this evening) I've made
another few changes.

>>>       > 2.4 Sort Keys
>>>
>>> The use of the term "collation canonicalization" to refer to sort
>>> keys is very misleading. ...
>
> Changed; the text now speaks of sort keys. I'm afraid there still are
> instances of the old term around, I found one today.

In -10, all should be dead.

>>> The term 'error' is also problematic, since what is really at issue
>>> is a question of domain. For all those strings in the domain,
>>> either 'equal' or 'not_equal' should be returned from the equality
>>> function. For any string not in the domain, 'undefined' should be
>>> returned.
>
> Not changed. Back in February, I agreed that "error" was not ideal,
> but did not see "undefined" as better, and could not find a really
> apt term. The collations were a little too well-defined in the
> "undefined" cases then.
>
> However, in -10, I think they really will be undefined outside their
> domain, so I'll change to using "undefined" instead of "error". (I'm
> removing the bits that fall back to i;octet.)

Changed. The fallback to i;octet is now in the server, if the protocol
requires it.

This means that if a server can escape implementing i;octet, it can keep
all its strings in UCS-2 or UCS-4 internally, even as it implements
collations which are defined in terms of octets.

Arnt