Re: draft-newman-i18n-comparator: issue wildcards-07

From: Arnt Gulbrandsen <arnt@gulbrandsen.priv.no>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:13:48 +0200
To: Martin Duerst <duerst@w3.org>
Cc: Jim Melton <jim.melton@acm.org>, public-ietf-collation@w3.org, Michael Kay <mhk@mhk.me.uk>

Martin Duerst writes:
> Also, if all 'customers' of this draft except for XQuery want
> wildcards, then it's probably better to include them (as an option)
> in this draft.

I'd say IMAP does not really want wildcards. It can use them if they're there.

In IMAP, it's natural that either the server or the client offers its
options and the other chooses one. If we have wildcards, then the
client says what it wants and the server chooses a matching collator.
If we don't, then the server list its collators and the client chooses
one it likes.

Either way works. My personal preference is for the latter (because it
tends to go well with many GUIs).

Arnt