Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 10/22/2012 02:03 PM, Kingsley Idehen wrote:
> On 10/22/12 7:26 AM, Ben Laurie wrote:
>> On 22 October 2012 11:59, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Multiple WebIDs (or any other cryptographically verifiable
>>> identifier) are a
>>> must.
>>>
>>> The issue of UI is inherently subjective. It can't be used to
>>> objectively
>>> validate or invalidate Web-scale verifiable identifier systems such as
>>> WebID or any other mechanism aimed at achieving the same goals.
>> Ultimately what matters is: do users use it correctly? This can be
>> tested :-)
>>
>> Note that it is necessary to test the cases where the website is evil,
>> too - something that's often conveniently missed out of user testing.
>> For example, its pretty obvious that OpenID fails horribly in this
>> case, so it tends not to get tested.
>
> Okay.
>>
>>> Anyway, Henry, I,  and a few others from the WebID IG (hopefully)
>>> are going
>>> to knock up some demonstrations to show how this perceived UI/UX
>>> inconvenience can be addressed.
>> Cool.
>
> Okay, ball is in our court to now present a few implementations that
> address the UI/UX concerns.
>
> Quite relieved to have finally reached this point :-)

No, its not a UI/UX concern, although the UI experience of both identity
on the Web and with WebID in particular is quite terrible, I agree.

My earlier concern was an information flow concern that causes the issue
with linkability, which WebID shares to a large extent with other
server-side information-flow. As stated earlier, as long as you trust
the browser, BrowserID does ameliorate this. There is also this rather
odd conflation of "linkability" of URIs with hypertext and URI-enabled
Semantic Web data" and linkability as a privacy concern.

I do think many people agree stronger cryptographic credentials for
authentication are a good thing, and BrowserID is based on this and
OpenID Connect has (albeit not often used) options in this space.  I
would again, please suggest that the WebID community take on board
comments in a polite manner and not cc mailing lists.