Re: [saag] Liking Linkability

On 18 Oct 2012, at 20:29, Ben Laurie <ben@links.org> wrote:

> I really feel like I am beating a dead horse at this point, but
> perhaps you'll eventually admit it. Your public key links you. Access
> control on the rest of the information is irrelevant. Indeed, access
> control on the public key is irrelevant, since you must reveal it when
> you use the client cert. Incidentally, to observers as well as the
> server you connect to.

Right, but that's the nature of a persistent identifier which is (surely) a prerequisite for auth — assuming one doesn't wish to remain anonymous and have some auth, you could hypothetically avoid the cross-domain linkability issue by having a key-per-site, which could be semi-automated on the client side.

What I can't see is how you can maintain persistence on the server side without something which ultimately boils down to (or otherwise allows the storage of) a persistent identifier.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Technical Lead - The Space
0141 422 6036 (Internal: 01-26036) - PGP key CEBCF03E,

http://www.bbc.co.uk
If you have received it in
Do not use, copy or disclose the
immediately.