Re: Browser UI & privacy - a discussion with Ben Laurie

On 5 October 2012 15:14, Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org> wrote:

>  Thanks for bringing my thesis up.
>
> However, I might add that the inability to support any degree of
> privacy/anonymity/multiple identities/unlink-ability due to a dogmatic idea
> over "linking" re URIs re server-to-server connections (See BrowserID for a
> nice solution to this) and lack of a user-interface is one of the reasons
> why I doubt WebID in its current form can succeed in the market. I think
> lots of people have expressed this problem  and the WebID community has
> never modified their spec to enable these use-cases, and thus WebID is only
> appropriate to people who want to use RDF, don't mind the "self-signed
> cert" user interface, and want their public info on a web-page to link all
> their "identities" together. That is some group of people, I agree, but
> it's far from a magic bullet solution to identity.

Harry could you expand on what you feel are dogmatic ideas over linking, it
seemed unclear.

I do agree that BrowserID has a first class UI and WebID has a second class
one.

However, as I've stated WebID is the *only* identity system that uses a URI
to define a user, so is architecturally scalable.  BrowserID does *not* use
URIs.

I dont use WebID for the UI, I use it because every other identity system
has turned into walled gardens, and I dislike lockin.

>  I highly doubt bringing up philosophy will actually help here unless you
> can clarify what you mean re privacy, anonymity, multiple identities. There
> was some work by the IETF in this direction that seemed going in the right
> directions:

Philosophy may be a distraction here.  We'd like to communicate the core
key facts.  And that is we want to deliver interoperable solutions.

> https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hansen-privacy-terminology-03
>
> I also think this discussion should be confined to its proper mailing
> list.  For example, if it simply becomes FOAF+SSL folks championing the
> wonders of RDF, then perhaps the discussion should remove other mailing
> lists than WebID. If its a philosophical discussion, then I'd keep it on
> philoweb. Or an identity discussion that's not dogmatic, keep on
> public-identity. This is basic etiquette.

Personally I am agnostic to the serialization.  It could be RDF, salmon,
XML or JSON.  I dont even care if auth is done via PKI or not.  In this
case it's simply associating a public key with a user in a machine readable
way.  The serialization is unimportant.

The common problem that identity is trying to solve, is to authenticate a
user in a way that does not create a walled garden.  And that requires:

- Identifying a user in a standards compliant and scalable way
- Making your auth system interoperable with others

This is what we are trying to promote.  WebID is committed to be an
interoperable scalable identity solution.  I think people would be happy to
promote any other system that will commit to interop.  Isnt that the common
goal?