Re: Beyond HTTP Authentication: OAuth, OpenID, and BrowserID: Meeting on March 29th at IETF83

On 2012-03-20 13:42, Hannes Tschofenig wrote:
> Hi Anders,

Hi Hannes,
This is not particularly simple to discuss over e-mail but I'll
give it a shot.

> the issue is that most SDOs care about focusing their work on
> interoperability aspects rather than on how the actual stuff is implemented.

Since key-enrollment currently is all-over-the-map one wonder how
to interpret the current situation.  SDOs doesn't really cut it?
Vendors firmly believe they need to be "different"?

> It makes sense to put requirements for the secure storage in a future
> version of the JavaScript CryptoAPI document but it has to be kept
> at a fairly high level to be useful.

As you surely know end-to-end security solutions like TLS presumes a
one-to-one correspondence between the client and server.  If the client
actually is a key-container this means that the server must talk the
key-container's native lingo if end-to-end security enrollment is to be
achieved.

My solution FWIW to this problem is "standardizing" the key-container.
Note: only the API + visible architecture is standardized, there
is no HW mandate although I'm *trying* to get inside of CPUs.

What is your solution to this?  Skip end-to-end security enrollment?
Framework standards that can adopt any kind of key-store standard?

> I don't believe it makes sense to touch the hardware or operating system
> level aspects in any of the document we are talking about here.

Google's Wallet is an example of the opposite notion.  This path may not
be W3C's cup of tea but that is what it may have to compete with.

If we are only talking about DOMCrypt with domain-bound keys you are
of course perfectly right; I'm rather talking X.509, On-line banking,
and President Obama's NSTIC.

Cheers,
Anders