Re: Beyond HTTP Authentication: OAuth, OpenID, and BrowserID: Meeting on March 29th at IETF83

On 2012-03-20 11:21, Mo McRoberts wrote:

> On 20 Mar 2012, at 10:15, Anders Rundgren wrote:
>
>> There is to my knowledge no SDO who have taken on secure key storage and
>> provisioning.  In TCG (which I'm a member of), secure key storage is on
>> the menu but the provisioning has been left to vendors to cater for.
>
> *Tangentially related*, I blogged a little bit about secure provisioning the other day:
>
> http://nevali.net/post/19391532575/provisioning-keys-and-provenance

*Highly related* I would say.

> (if memory serves we've talked around this list in the past — so to be clear, I'm not claiming to have invented anything, just written it up)
>
> As with everything, I'm sure there's a terribly good reason why somebody or other wouldn't want to implement such a thing.

According to a US government official I met in Washington DC, there is a
reason why provisioning is not a part of the US PIV smart card standard
and that spells "hardware vendor".  This has severely dwarfed the PIV
as a standard for other parties and in the end everybody lost.

I actually tried to purchase security hardware from a couple of vendors but
then I had to specify how many 10K (!) units I needed as well as signing NDAs.
I would also not be able to publish the code.  Case closed, or as I found
out later: Open Security Hardware is nowadays a viable alternative.

Anyway, bridging the gap from crypto hardware to the browser is actually
not a simple task.  Here is my take on the subject:
http://openkeystore.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/resources/docs/Efficient-Provisioning-of-Complex-Structures-Over-Unsecured-Channels.pdf

Anders