Data compression APIs?

From: Mitch Zollinger <mzollinger@netflix.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 17:11:57 -0800
To: "public-identity@w3.org" <public-identity@w3.org>
In designing the technology that satisfies the use case doc posted
previously (http://www.w3.org/wiki/NetflixWebCryptoUseCase) it would
appear that we need to support compression / decompression APIs.

The reason is that for our "MsgSec" protocol, we encrypt every message
going over the wire and since encrypted data cannot be compressed, the
compression has to happen before encryption. Therefore standard things
like HTTP gzip compression will not work.

What we're looking for is something along the lines of:

   function compress(data, algorithm)
   function uncompress(data, algorithm)

where algorithm is one of the standard ones (gzip, bzip2, etc.)

Is this the right forum for looking at this type of functionality?

Mitch