Re: Identity in the Browser Workshop Report finish, chartering has begun

On Tue, Aug 30, 2011 at 11:56 PM, Anders Rundgren
<anders.rundgren@telia.com> wrote:
> On 2011-08-30 22:04, Harry Halpin wrote:
>> I hope everyone have seen the news on W3's homepage namely that the
>> identity in the browser workshop final report is published [1] and we're
>> ready to go to the chartering stage. Expect the announcement of a draft
>> charter in about week or two.
>>
>> Currently, the largest issue facing possible new work at the W3C is how
>> expansive should a new group be. Should it narrowly scope itself to deal
>> only with a common cryptography API or should it deal with larger
>> matters of identity and session-management?
>>
>> Any opinions?

Hi Harry,

Well, my initial opinion is that focusing on a common crypto API is
exactly the wrong thing to worry about here. As we discussed in the
workshop (and as your report states), other places like the HTML and
Webapps WGs (as well as TC39 for Javascript itself) seem like much
more suitable places.

Unless you were thinking of working on a requirements document, maybe?

It seems to me that the group should rather *only* concern itself with
identity and session management; otherwise we run into scope conflicts
with other groups.

-- Dirk