future of Identity on the Web

From: Henry Story <henry.story@bblfish.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 08:35:12 +0200
Cc: Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>
To: WebID Incubator Group WG <public-xg-webid@w3.org>, public-identity@w3.org, Halpin Harry <hhalpin@w3.org>, Ben Adida <ben@adida.net>
Dear Web Identity Groups,

Since both the community forming around the Web Identity javascript cryptography work [1] and the WebID XG are working in the same space, I propose that the two groups work out how these projects can complement each other, so that the W3C can tell a unified identity story. There is a lot in common between them - usage of cryptography in the browser and certificates to prove identity online - and it seems quite clear to me that both the existing WebID solution [2] and the in development version known as BrowserId can complement each other, in fact should as much as possible do so. This could then form the basis for a future WG starting 2012, split hopefully into a number of small independent and closely interrelated parts.

   Henry

[1] http://www.w3.org/2011/08/webidentity-charter.html
[2] http://webid.info/spec/

Social Web Architect