Re: Draft Web Identithy Working Group Charter for Discussion

From: Harry Halpin <hhalpin@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 20:08:30 +0100 (BST)
To: "Francisco Corella" <fcorella@pomcor.com>
Cc: "public-identity@w3.org" <public-identity@w3.org>
> Harry,
>
>> The one idea that came up was a possible future
>> workshop focused more narrowly on certificates.
>
> That would be great.  I would suggest covering not only traditional
> certificates, but also credentials based on privacy-enhancing
> technologies; i.e. a workshop on cryptographic credentials in general.

Yes, although not that we still have a Crypto API (likely based around
DomCrypt work) in the charter. Therefore, the use of cryptographic
credentials in a Crypto API and their relationship of this Crypto API to
identity authentication and authorization is definitely within scope for
the future WG.

However, any proposed solutions that require change the CA system (which
many agree are needed at the workshop, but that's beyond the W3C) or
changes to how certificates are currently generated are out-of-scope as
decided by the workshop in our final session.

We will announce any future workshops that more narrowly scope themselves
to certificates and the CA system on this mailing list.