Re: Crypto HW. Re: Web Cryptography Working Group scoping progressing...

2011/11/22 Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>

> On 2011-11-21 15:08, Richard Barnes wrote:
> > Hey Harry,
> >
> > I think that's about the right balance.  It seems like what this API
> should
> > do is provide a set of primitives that can be provided by different
> types of
> > cryptographic services:
> > -- The browser
> > -- The OS
> > -- A TPM
> > -- A smart card
> > -- An HSM
> > -- Etc.
>
> I think this is a somewhat dangerous conclusion.
>
> DomCrypt (AFAICT) supports the *Creation* and *Usage* of cryptographic keys
> in some kind of "browser storage".  Extending the *Creation* part to the
> set of containers listed would extend the scope by a mile.

+1

But, I agree there is a need of interface for import/export of certificates
from security devices.
In Firefox, the validation of security device based on FIPS is already
possible. (Other browser?)
I guess Web Certificate Service API is needed to treat this kind of
interfaces in future.

Anyway we have better focus on primitive APIs for light-weight usecases.
Because all browsers have own key stroage. :)

Channy