The Internet Identity (WG) Crisis

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 10:42:36 +0200
To: public-identity@w3.org
http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-ulx/2011-June/000596.html
http://kantarainitiative.org/pipermail/wg-consumer-identity/2011-June/000112.html

There seems to be two viable options beyond quitting:

1. Sit down a watch the big elephants fight and hope that something useful comes out of it
2. Seek funding for concrete projects that have a chance surviving

Since option #1 is only marginally interesting (unless you are employed by
one of these entities), I guess the second alternative could be interesting?

A fundamental problem with option #2 is that it seems hard (maybe even impossible)
just getting down the basics such as Why, What and How.

Maybe the over-arching issue is that human beings are mentally not particularly good
at cooperation?   I also have a feeling that the secrecy required by the "Big Three"
greatly limits the foundation for true cooperation.  It becomes more like a
"Simon says" game than a mutual exchange of ideas.

Yes, the Swedish banks are gearing up again for revising their proprietary browser
security client.  Product management in the identity space clearly doesn't go beyond
geographical, cultural, or language borders.

Anders Rundgren
eternal optimist but occasionally a realist as well