Re: White paper of proposed architecture for NSTIC

On 2011-07-21 08:00, Francisco Corella wrote:

> Anders,
>
> Really, NSTIC is not about PIV, nor about government IT, and it
> certainly is not a low risk initiative.  If you don't believe me,
> see for yourself at http://www.nist.gov/nstic/ .

Dear Francisco,

I'm pretty versed in the NSTIC initiative.  What I also know is
that he card industry is gearing up as they believe that the
outcome will be physical distribution of smart cards.  Since the
US is also looked upon by the entire world makes NSTIC more
interesting than for example Germany's e-card.

Anyway, due to the limited functionality offered by the leading
US vendors when it comes to two-factor authentication except
using PIV (which you must support), it is hard to see that
NSTIC would go somewhere else.  I have no idea of how projects
like yours and mine could be funded and organized.  Based on
15 years of experience in this field, I think it is easier
solving the middle-east conflict than getting a working
consumer 2FA (2 factor auth) solution off the ground.

Well, Apple can do it and IMO they WILL do it as well.

The financial industry could have done this with almost no
money at all but they didn't.  Why?  Because they cannot fund
anything that other banks can use.  I.e. the phishing problem
is not result of criminals, it is the result of total lack
of interest in solving bigger issues.

Apple (unlike Microsoft) have HUGE ambitions establishing a
new payment infrastructure and this will take authentication
to new heights.  That they define their own silicon makes
it extremely simple bringing out stuff that we other can
only dream about...

If I were VISA I would be quite worried.

Sorry for being negative but NSTIC is already dead in the water.

Anders