Re: White paper of proposed architecture for NSTIC

From: Anders Rundgren <anders.rundgren@telia.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 15:04:23 +0200
To: fcorella@pomcor.com
CC: public-identity@w3.org, "Karen P. Lewison" <kplewison@pomcor.com>
On 2011-07-18 21:20, Francisco Corella wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> At the NSTIC workshop in Boston I mentioned to Harry Halpin that we were working on a white paper proposing an architecture for the NSTIC ecosystem, and he said I should send it to the list.  We
> finished it yesterday, so here is a link to it: http://pomcor.com/whitepapers/ProposedNSTICArchitecture.pdf.  There is also a short introductory blog at:
> http://pomcor.com/2011/07/17/a-proposed-architecture-for-the-nstic-ecosystem/.  The architecture is very much browser-centric.  Any comments would be very welcome.

The problem with this and similar efforts is that you need a *platform*.

The only party that actually has a platform worth mentioning is Apple with their iPhone.

Popular, can host credentials, can be on-line provisioned, great connectivity.

Unfortunately I don't think the NSTIC people are prepared shelling out any money
except on projects using their "own" platform, i.e. PIV.  This platform is severely
constrained and does neither support multiple credentials nor on-line provisioning.

PIV doesn't fit your bank-case.

That people outside the Feds doesn't have card readers is also an indication how
"off" this thing would be as a foundation for a vibrant identity ecosystem.

Platform = HW + SW.

Anders