Re: WebID and HTTPS Client Certificate Authentication

On 2011-08-06 11:44, Henry Story wrote:

>> I [really] like the trust model of WebID but not the enrollment in MSIE.
>
> great. But what do you mean "the enrolment in MSIE" ?

The s.c. "solution" that is shipped with Internet Explorer which have
created a virtual industry of people writing workarounds.

>> That HTTPS CCA was designed by the best cryptographers in the world
>> doesn't necessarily make it a sure-fire success.  S/MIME anybody?
>
> I am just a practical person trying to use what is available now.
>
> Again with S/MIME - secure Mime, my guess is the problem is finding
> the key, and centralisation of CAs, not the crypto technique behind it.

IMHO, the #1 problem with S/MIME is the *total lack of use-case analysis*.
Organizations depend on secure storage for documents and data.  If you
translate this to e-mail you would see that securing mail should have
been delegated to the server (organization) level.

When you encrypt a message on the employee level both the recipients
and the sender is sent in clear text!  How useful is that????

The primary culprit here is really the USG who has been the sole
sponsor of the S/MIME specification.

Anders