Re: On-line Bank Auth. Was: Privacy

On 2 Aug 2011, at 09:15, Anders Rundgren wrote:

> It is probably no worse than 3D Secure (VISA VbV, MasterCard SecureCode) which
> requires the poor user to manually enter all the credit-card data and then as
> a "bonus" authenticate to the issuer.

No, it is considerably worse — it intercepts *everything* you do in your browser. It's a keylogger by another name.

3DS would be pretty much fine if it used a OTP instead of fixed personal data… and the 3DS pages weren't hosted on random third party domains which look like phishing attempts…

> The financial industry doesn't really cut it AFAICT.  Either they come up with
> stuff that has serious platform issues, is expensive, is security-broken, or
> is next-to-impossible to use.  Some banks even manage combining all of these
> features :-)

Yup. All of the experience I've had suggests that those implementing this stuff are completely clueless to the point of it being really quite disturbing.

> I can't on top of my head recall a single request in an SDO forum coming from a
> bank-representative.  I guess bank employees are not supposed to publicly air
> requirements?

I'd be very surprised if they were — I think this sort of thing is supposed to come through umbrella organisations like APACS in the UK, and through the card scheme operators (so Visa, MC, Amex, etc) rather than the banks themselves.

M.

--
Mo McRoberts - Data Analyst - Digital Public Space,
Zone 1.08, BBC Scotland, 40 Pacific Drive, Glasgow G51 1DA,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/