Re: Diversity fund selection committee

> On Feb 14, 2019, at 14:32, Madlaina Kalunder <madlaina.kalunder@gmx.ch> wrote:
>
> My concern was mostly about the influence of the sponsoring companies on the selection process. Depending on the candidates affiliations a company might get into a problematic scenario - unless all applicant data gets anonymised.

I don't believe it will be practical in the general case to anonymize the candidates. I was (still am, but also was) on the AB when the W3C team ran last year's selection and debriefed the AB about the process and the results, and despite them taking the greatest precautions to talk about applicants only in the most general terms, it wasn't particularly difficult to guess the identity of some who had prior participation.

This makes me wonder if we wouldn't be better off leaving the selection committee entirely to the w3c team, as they are used to handling private information carefully, and are largely trusted by the community to do that, in a way that company representatives might not be (even if they are from generous and supportive companies).

Or maybe I'm over-reacting.

—Florian