Re: sec 4.11

From: David Clarke <w3c@dragonthoughts.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 09:59:42 +0100
To: public-i18n-ws@w3.org

>Some types of internationally sensitive processing cannot be inferred
>solely from a language identifier or a locale. For example, the
>identifier does not indicate which sort ordering should be used. Types
>of sort orderings include: telephone, dictionary, phonetic, binary,
>stroke-radical or radical-stroke. In the latter two cases, the
>reference for stroke count may also need to be cited.

In Japanese, and probably some other scripts, there are further
complications, as the identical word or name might be written using
Kanji, Hiragana, Katakana or Romaji (Roman script) or a mixture of the
scripts.

E.g. When studying for my MA, in Japanese, my name would appear on
Japanese course material in Katakana, while it appears on English course
material in Roman script. For someone sorting course marks by name, it
would be reasonable for them to expect my marks to appear together...

---
David Clarke