Re: calendar related events scenarii

Nice.

1) What does "calendar-related" mean?
We are using it to mean dependent on a type of calendar (hebrew, hijri, etc.).
I think of the term as meaning driven by a particular date on the calendar.

"locale-related" is also a bit ambiguous.

Perhaps we should provide some terms & definitions.

2) I would eliminate the redundancy unless the examples become much larger and
more detailed.

just fyi, some of the countries changed to G. then went back to Julian for a
period and then back again...
http://www.norbyhus.dk/calendar.html
http://en2.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gregorian_Calendar

tex
"A. Vine" wrote:

> All,
>
> OK, I now know a lot more about date calculations, various religious and
> cultural holidays, and both the Julian and Gregorian dates for the
> Battle of Borodino.
>
> I repeated some information in the scenarios - I wasn't sure if we could
> expect the reader to read through everything at once.  I can edit it
> down if we think it's a safe assumption.
>
> Andrea
>
> Scenario I-0?? Calendar-related events
>
> A Web service is set up to calculate a calendar date and send it back to
> the requester.  The date is calendar-related but is not associated with
> a particular locale or timezone.  The service may need to take in
> information such as the calendar type, year, and related descriptive
> information.
>
> Scenario A:  A service calculates the date for Easter, Passover, or
> Ramadan for any given year in a specified calendar type.  All these
> holidays are strictly calendar related; they are calculated based on
> certain calendar and lunar events, as well as historical tables.  The
> SOAP request would contain a holiday, a year, and a parameter indicating
> the calendar type, e.g. "Gregorian".  In addition, some other data may
> be required, such as for Easter there may be a parameter specifying
> "Orthodox" or "Western".  The Web service would in turn calculate the
> appropriate date and send a message back to the requester with the
> calculated date.  It may seem as though the calendar type is a part of
> the locale information, but locale information is typically associated
> with the end user, and there's far more information in a locale than is
> needed. In this case, the calendar type is irrelevant to the locale,
> since the requester may be looking for information unrelated to user
> preferences or system settings.
>
> Scenario B:  A service calculates historical dates in different parts of
> the world and returns an equivalent Gregorian calendar date to the
> requester.  The SOAP request would contain a date and its country of
> origin.  For example, a request might have the date 1812/08/26 and the
> origin "Russia".  Russia was not using the Gregorian calendar at that
> time, so that date is not equivalent to the same date in places such as
> England or Germany.  While this may look locale-related due to the
> country of origin, it should not be treated as such.  Locales are
> typically associated with the end user, not with a piece of data.  A
> locale contains far more information than is relevant to this
> calculation as well.
>
> Scenario C:  A service calculates Chinese New Year for any non-Chinese
> calendar type.  The SOAP request would include a parameter with the
> calendar type, such as "Gregorian", "Hebrew", or "Japanese Imperial".
> It may seem as though the calendar type is a part of the locale
> information, but locale information is typically associated with the end
> [...]

Making e-Business Work Around the World