RE: [I18N-WSTF] Teleconference Notes...

There are fundamental problems in getting agreement on what a locale actually is.

Personally, I fall most closely into camp #1 on your list. Although I acknowledge the other items there are completely valid, I think there is some value for this group in taking a narrow view of what a locale is. My version of #1 is:

"A locale is a collection of settings related to regional or cultural preferences. As a collection, it is an abstraction of a specific "cultural preferences" or "regional settings" for use by computer systems, not meant as a perfect model of an individual's preferences. Locales provide software developers with the means of writing software that expresses itself in the most appropriate way for a given set of users."

Thus my preference for talking about "locale tags" or "i18n context identifiers" instead of "locales". Once we start down the path of closely defining a locale, we end up having to deal with the different locale models extant, the differing implementation details, dissatisfaction with the assumptions behind locales such as their lack of personalization, etc. Is this necessary to create internationalized Web services? I don't believe it is.

In fact, it might be counter-productive.

Among the models for Web services platforms is the "pure WS environment", in which developers directly author Web services for the purpose of being a Web service. It might be possible create and describe an "Internet locale model" that takes the full range of issues into account in this case.

Another model is the "wrapper" model, in which Web service provider products wrap existing business logic in Web services. In this case I think it would be best that they way you author a "Web service" be analogous if not identical to how you write "regular" logic. Or, another way: your regular logic will work as designed when you turn it into a WS.

Thus, by ignoring what the "locale container" actually "contains", I think we could create platform neutral "locale and i18n preferences" to enable multi-locale support. More importantly, I think we could sell the result to WS standardizers and implementers who don't care what a locale is (or isn't) and have a vested interest in their existing systems (and locales).

~Addison